Infertility is a problem of the
reproductive system. It affects the body's ability to reproduce. It could be caused by a
problem with the man’s system, the woman’s system, or both. For a pregnancy, these must
- The man must make healthy sperm.
- The woman must make healthy eggs.
- The fallopian tubes must be open to let the sperm to reach the egg.
- The sperm must be able to fertilize the egg.
- The fertilized egg must implant in the uterus.
- The embryo must be healthy.
Infertility is not just a woman's
concern. Half the time, a male factor causes or is a part in the problem. Many couples
have more than 1 factor that plays a role.
In a few cases, a cause for infertility can’t be found.
If you think you are not able to
get pregnant, see your healthcare provider soon. The age of the woman and how long you
have been trying to get pregnant may affect treatment.